Thursday 28 November 2013

Final Reflections

Goals

'During my internship, I hope to accomplish one major language goal. Since I am already bilingual, and have been since I was born practically, I want to ameliorate my english and make it richer. If I want to work as a translater in the future I need my english to be very professional. I do make mistakes sometimes when I write or speak english, so I want to make this better and learn the right words and expressions.'

This is what I had written in my #1 blog entry. I think I have not yet achieved the goal 100%, but my english did get a lot better. Maybe not just because of the internship, but it did helps. I think what restrained me the most is that I worked mostly from and for a french twitter, but I still managed to ameliorate certain aspects of my english, and I had to do translation from the english tweets to french, so it was a huge plus! 
Strategies 
From the article Profile of a Succeful Language Learner, I used the communication and motivation ways to ameliorate. Communicating with other people is what works best for me, because I notice a lot when people talk. For example at home, my mom has a very high level of english, and I learn new vocabulary all the time thanks to her. Motivation is a huge part of it, it is necessary in my opinion. To be honest my motivation did get a little low during the semester, but it is my fault. I still worked hard and pulled myself back up. These two strategies, for me, will always be important. Communication is a key for learning and for having good relationships with people.
Language

My english has improved a lot since I have moved to Montreal. My accent is less pronounced, I have a better vocabulary, and I ameliorated my fluency and accuracy. The most challenging was (and still is) the pronounciation of certain words and the structure of sentences sometimes. I need to work on it and improve. The most easy for me was the accent notion, since I have moved to montreal my french accent does not really have an effect on my english one anymore! 

Growth

I have learned a lot with this internship. I realized that organization is a must, and that I need to prepare better and stop doing my work at the last minute. I have noticed that I am not always good with too much pressure on my shoulders, but that I am strong and find a way to motivate myself after. I haven't changed my perception of anglophone culture, it still looks amazing to me! I will remember this internship, it was fun to me! Participating in sports events and taking care of a twitter are things I like to do, and Daniel even told me to stay in touch and keep him as a contact for future references. This internship may have not been the best for me on the language side, but it was awesome for the human side! Great people I have worked with.

The internship 


I would probably try and be more organized. It would help me, because I kind of didn't help myself bu not being organized. I realized that when you know what you want to do in advance and that your work is done, you feel a lot more freedom.

Gratitude

I do not have the text with me, but I thanked them enormously for giving me a chance to work with them. I said they were both great hosts, and that I hoped to have lived to their expectations. I said I was glad to have worked for a great organization, and thanked them for making me meet Mathieu Darche. I also thanked them for welcoming me warmly into the internship and making me feel appreciated, because there is nothing better for confidence. I didn't write this in the letter because I didn't know, but Daniel will try and get me an internship with the Montreal Canadiens, which is my dream, and I thanked him a lot in person for it. In the letter, I also wished them the best and told them not to change, because they are great men! 

The placement 

I definitely would, it was great working for them. Always happy to work with me, always giving me good advice, and interesting activities! To me, it was awesome. I had a great time, I felt no pressure from them, just constant encouragement.

No comments:

Post a Comment