Thursday 28 November 2013

Dialogues

1.Interaction with Daniel (host) where I made a mistake

In person interaction


Me: Hi Daniel!How are you?

Daniel: Hey Ariane I am good, how are you doing?

Me: Hi, I am doing very good

Daniel: It's nice to see you again!

Me: Yes it is, I wish I would have seen you and Mike more than two times!

Daniel: You meant twice? And I agree. We are glad to have had you as an intern!

Me: Oops! Yes I meant twice. And thank you Daniel! You and Mike were great hosts.

Daniel: Thanks Ariane. We have to start filming, talk to you later!


What I would say in the future

Me: Hi Daniel!How are you?
Daniel: Hey Ariane I am good, how are you doing?
Me: Hi, I am doing very good
Daniel: It's nice to see you again!
Me: Yes it is, I wish I would have seen you and Mike more than twice!
Daniel: I have to agree. It was great to have you as an intern!
Me: Thank you Daniel! You and Mike were great hosts.
Daniel: Thanks Ariane. We have to start filming, talk to you later!

4. Write out part of an informal dialogue that you heard or participated in during your internship. What makes this conversation informal? What words or structures are informal? (e.g. If you interact with people your own age or hear your supervisor speak with a friend) 
2. Interaction with students

Me: Hi what is your name?
Student: My name is Mike.
Me: How are you doing Mike?
Mike: I'm good you?
Me: Good thanks. So how did you like the press conference today?
Mike: Oh, it was cool.
Me: Did you find it inspiring?
Mike: Yeah, it helps when you see popular people that have gone throught the same things as you. 
Me: Do you practice sports outside of school?
Mike: Yes, I play soccer.
Me: And are you able to concentrate fully on your studies even with soccer in your life?
Mike: Yeah, it's hard sometimes but I'm tryna do my best. I wanna play soccer for a long time.
Me: Alright thanks Mike!
Mike: Thanks, bye.
I chose these dialogues because I think they represent what has been happening a lot in my internship. When I was with Mike(Cohen, not the student above) or Daniel alone, it would be more relaxed. The 'two times' mistake, as I said in my other post, still happens to me once in a while, mostly when I am a little stressed. On that day of the McGill game, there was a lot of kids and action around, and it was not always easy to go around without being distracted.
The second dialog was at the JFK High School, for the Stay in School conference, where I had to interview students before interviewing Mathieu Darche. The kids had more of a formal language, and since they knew I was young, I think they didn't watch their language as much! It just showed me, in a span of 20 minutes, how much difference there is between adult langage and young language. 

No comments:

Post a Comment