Wednesday 30 October 2013

Linguistic Interference & Difference between Immersion and Classroom Learning

Linguistic interference :

I did have some small problems with language interference, but nothing that has not let me communicate. The biggest problem I have is sometimes I switch words directly from french to english and it turns out it's not the good translation. I have to work on getting to know these words' good translations in english. It challenged me to try and find another way to say my sentence, which is sometimes complicated when you have one certain word in mind. These observations help a lot for me, because they show me that I have to be alert and keep on learning every day. My future job will be in the area of translation, so switching words from french to english is not the best thing to do for me. 

Internship or classroom? :
 
In a classroom, we learn language rules and then try to use them to form sentences and speak. There are a lot of errors made when you learn the language, because there are exceptions that you will not know about until the teacher tells you. On the other side, if you're in an immersion situation, you will most likely make mistakes at the start but learn faster than in class because you are speaking with native or bilingual people. You will notice the exceptions and save them in your brain, and also learn fast because in immersion, you don't have a choice! You need to speak in the specific language for people to understand. In class, you can still talk in your first language with the people sitting beside you, so maybe you won't put the same level of effort into it. My language strategy that I use the most is to practice and communicate with people, and it's effective for me to make my vocabulary richer.

No comments:

Post a Comment